2011년 8월 31일 수요일

As a writer

  When you judge something, you get to know about that thing accurately and specifically. Otherwise, you might badly misjudge the thing.
As an inexperienced writer, I become a little careful in judging my own writing. I might easily overestimate, underestimate, or just totally misjudge my writing.

To be honest, I’ve barely written any essay crammed full of effort. A lot of times, my writing was for an assignment. And some times, my writing was for my own emotional relief. That is, my essays were to be either academically scored, or kept private. The only paper that I put both my academic knowledge and my heart is probably the paper I submitted for Mr. Johnson’s class last semester. We were completely free choosing the topic. I chose the topic that I could truly work on, which was the combination of movies and psychology. Even though my paper turned into a mess (because all the files in my laptop were somehow deleted the day before the due date), I did my best writing the paper. I searched on books, internets, and even newspapers. Apart from how successful the paper was, I think this paper is the one with the most contents, sincerity, and effort.

I know, I lack experiences when it comes to writing an essay. I never learned about writing essays, and my essays are dull. My lacking experience in writing literary essays might have blocked me from learning various expressions and descriptions. I’m not a native speaker, I don’t have an excellent command of English, and I’m definitely not a born writer. I thereby have numbers of weaknesses in writing which is stated below:

 It always seems like I'm always bent on putting down stuffs I want to say when writing. The essay seems much disorganized. My vocabulary is very limited. Sentences are long, but unstructured. They are colorless with no special techniques. Some are even grammatically wrong. Also there are many unnatural places. If you speak Korean, you could easily notice that my sentences are a bunch of work-for-word translation of Korean sentences.

So far were some cynical criticisms on my writing. I think that was enough for diatribes against my own writing, and let me finish on an upbeat note. It is always easier to draw on a blank paper than on a colored paper full of graffiti. Colorless essay with no special writing techniques makes it easier to imbue the color, the character into the essay. I can read a lot of books, keep some impressive quotes, and learn various types of writing techniques. And by writing numerous essays this semester, I can progressively find the color of my writing. Grammar is something that I can cover up with a lot of proof readings and peer editing. Vocabulary is another thing that I can cover up by memorizing new words and their usages.

But above all, I can assure that my limited vocabulary can create an essay that everyone can easily understand. I can also assure that I have the possibility to improve on my writing. Knowing the weaknesses and working hard on those will hopefully help me to get what I want.
 I don’t typically have anything that I don’t want to do in this class, and I am ready to get beyond myself :)

댓글 1개:

  1. I hardly find your writing dull, and I actually learned something from your philosophy essay about morality - "nobless oblige." I'd never heard it before. So I can clearly see you have a tight academic writing style that carries forth an argument or idea quite effectively. You use metaphors and analogies to bring things to life. These are all good habits, and I hope we can continue building those.

    One thing I'd like to see improved is the size of your font. It's a bit small. At times, your formatting is a bit inconsistent, so make sure your paragraphs look nice.

    Good start to your blog!

    답글삭제